Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday morning post

It is quarter to nine on Monday morning. I am taking it easy. Although I did not study round the clock over the weekend, I did get in a few hours of quality face-to-face time with my books. I even briefed a few cases. And so, by 4:00 yesterday, I was free to enjoy the Redskins win over the Cowboys at the bar on the corner. And then, a drive around the outskirts of our city. And then, an episode of the Wire. So, it should be obvious by now that what I am doing is avoiding putting myself back into that "student" role again, by not cracking the books this morning. Instead, this blog post.

T is gone. He left at 8:30 this morning for work. He did it! All the hard work he put in applying for jobs and slaving over his resume and calling people back, all the drudgery of job hunting, has paid off! This is contract work, so it is not a permanent gig. However, for the time being, we can rest easy knowing that a paycheck will be forthcoming, and T will be "earning" his downtime (as he puts it). My hope: this will lead to a bit more structure in our days, and enjoyable evenings of reading and relaxing together.

Yesterday, when we went to the car for our mechanic-mandated road trip, there was a parking ticket tucked under the windshield wiper blade. Ordinarily, this would be an expected gift, but we had taken care on Friday to leave a note politely requesting that the Parking Authority not ticket the car due to extenuating circumstances (not to be divulged here). Our request was apparently denied. Fine. But when T grabbed the ticket to read the fine print, he found a special message was written back to us:

"Learn to park, dumbass."

Thanks, Officer Connelly. Will do.

I have to laugh, because this is my first real-life story about the infamous horror show that is driving (and owning a car) in this city. That message was classic.

No comments: