Sunday, September 13, 2009

my potbelly is not cute

my best friend just posted pictures on facebook from her recent trip to visit me and T here in the Big City. wow. i've noticed for a long time, but i avoid being aware of it as much as possible. i have a mad potbelly. i'm not big all over. i used to be very thin, which i didn't take pride in or really even care about. it was just the way my body was shaped. but now, i am rounding out in a big way, and also in a very particular way. my stomach protrudes. when i stand sideways, i look pregnant. it's not cool.

i finally googled "why does my stomach stick out so much?" and came to the conclusion that i have visceral fat. this is, essentially, fat packed into my stomach between my guts. yummy yummy. and what's weird? it's mostly associated with men and post-menopausal women. the female horemone estrogen causes most women to store fat in their legs, butt and thighs. (i do some of this too.) i am truly starting to suspect that my body's horemones are all messed up. between the stomach fat-packing, the hair falling out in the shower, and the odd cycles, i'm starting to think something in me is very confused.

anyway. i want, but *really* want, to lose this pot. my mom has one. i could write myself off as doomed. but this early on in my marriage i think i need to try a little harder than that. so what does the internet say i should do?

1. 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week.
2. stop the alcohol (at least for a couple months, and then keep it down)
3. cut out junk and fast food, and consider going gluten-free

lately, i have slacked off on my previously healthier lifestyle by:
- drinking soda
- eating fast food
- drinking lots of beer
- riding the train to school, rather than walking to work

so, i am going to make an effort to exercise at the school gym on tuesdays, thursdays and fridays, and take a good long (dog-free) walk once a weekend. stop drinking all soda. stop eating all fried food. only drink on weekends. avoid beer.

lets see if i can't slim down that potbelly of mine.

2 comments:

B said...

Ugh mine either! Seriously, I need to join you. Alcohol and not great foods have been my downfall as of late, and I have really started to notice. As if we didn't have enough to worry about already!

CP said...

I hear you! the doom of people who used to be slim all their life is that when the weight comes- it all goes to the potbelly rather than being distributed equally. Man, I wish I could transfer my extra weight to the places I want it (boobs!). Not Fair!