Monday, August 25, 2008

You catch more flies with honey...

Ugh. Comcast. Sucks.

That's all I'll say about that. I'm trying to move on from the phone call that put me in a bad mood. Right now, I'm in the bedroom, which I've set up as a makeshift work-space with my computer on a rolling coffee table, while the rice cooks back in the kitchen. It's hard to use words like "front" and "back" in this apartment, since you enter in the back of the apartment, and the front of the apartment is a dead-end, so everything feels reversed.

Anyway. First "real" day of school was today. I had Contracts and Litigation Basics. We had Lit Basics all last week, so there weren't any real surprises there. Also, that class is really just an introductory thing that lasts only halfway through the semester. Contracts was pretty good too. My prof has a sense of humor and, amazingly, so does the casebook. I actually laughed out loud while reading it yesterday. That's something I wasn't expecting.

School is a lot less intimidating than I expected, though I am refamiliarizing myself with that chronic unsettled feeling that comes with constantly feeling like I'm supposed to be "doing work". Being back in school makes me feel younger, and I haven't decided if it's in a good way or not. I was talking to a classmate of mine on ride home, some guy who was also working for about 4 years before going to law school. He also said that he felt this ambivalence about being a student again. In some ways it feels like being sent back a grade. In other ways, it seems like this amazing chance to do school over again as a wiser, better person.

I have to go. The rice could be burning.

No comments: