Monday, August 11, 2008

Gonna be a 1L

In just a week, classes for first year students start. This summer has been both incredibly fast and excruciatingly slow. I'm back from the beach with a sunburn and plenty of ridiculous memories, and now is the time to quit procrastinating and shove all my stuff in boxes.

T and I are moving to Oz this week. We're bringing the first load up in a moving truck and one van on Wednesday, then driving back down to pick up my car and the rest of the stuff. I almost can't believe it, but in just a few days, I'll be a Car-less Callie! No more car insurance (kind of), no more gas (kind of) and no more feeling guilty about all the (actual) junk in my trunk. My car is going to my parents' house, where it will hopefully get put to some good use by my dad, who currently has to guzzle about $15 of gas just to drive to the store in his truck. T and I will be living off of just his car, and with any luck we'll only have to use it on rare occasions.

With any luck, also, the Club that he is buying will be just a formality.

Leaving Kansas has been a tough choice to reconcile. The last couple of months have been some of the hardest for T, and it's been hard to watch him come to terms with the decision. There are times where both of us have wished we had decided to stay here, rather than move to the big city, but given that there is nothing we can do to back out of this decision without my pulling out of law school, we're moving anyway. We'll take it a semester at a time.

Due to the emotional turmoil involved with these decisions, and my tendency to avoid difficult feelings by pushing them away, very little of my energy has been spent over the past summer on preparing for starting law school. I've been vacillating between worrying about T and distracting myself from the mind-numbingness of my job (which I left last week... hooray!!!). Sure, I picked up a few books to read (PLS 2, Learning Legal Reasoning, and Gideon's Trumpet) but for the most part I feel like I am going into this the way I always hated getting into the pool or the ocean: by just jumping in, cold be damned.

Anyway, I'm excited to be joining the legions of blawgers out there whose lives I have been tracking for a while now. It's been interesting to be able to read, all in one place, the journey of so many people from fledgling one-L to hardened three-L, with all the milestones in life that come along the way. I wonder, what will my posts have to say? What will my future bring?

No comments: