Sunday, January 11, 2009

Round 2

Law school starts up again tomorrow and I feel... ugly. I have two giant zits on my face, one of which is painful and one of which is just gross to look at. And I have only one pair of pants left. My clothing situation is abysmal thanks to the 10-15 pounds I've put on over the past couple of years. I wish I could just go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, but alas I have no money with which to indulge in that fantasy. Instead, I'll be snagging a bunch of clothes on credit at Target in order to maximize savings and minimize concern about fit. Friends suggested tonight that I go to the local thrift store, and if I were in the right frame of mind, that would be a valid idea. But in moments like this, new, bright, shiny and pretty are what's needed.

T gave me crap for being excited about registering for gifts. I don't care. I'm excited to think about all the fun household-y things we can maybe be lucky enough to receive. When else in our lives will we have the chance to simply get stuff, no strings attached. Not that I expect anything. I don't. I just like the excuse to think about fancy slow-cookers and pretty high-thread-count sheets. And truthfully, the only reason I was thinking about it is cause we were wandering around Macy's looking for a restroom.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back in the city. It's stressful having a visitor here (my brother JC is visiting), but I am also sooo excited to have had the chance to show him around. I've been having nightmares for the past week. Some have to do with school, like the one in which I was devastated to learn that I'd received an S- on my memo (which in reality is graded on an actual gradepoint scale). Some have to do with wedding stuff, like the one in which my dad and my best friend and I were running around some endless mall looking for my wedding dress the night before my wedding. Some have to do with T, like the one in which he was being really mean to me in front of his family and friends at a bowling alley. Obviously, there is a lot of free-floating anxiety in my life and I haven't had a chance to process it. I am craving routine.

Speaking of which, it's time to hole punch those syllabi, clear out the binders, load up the backpack, carve the pages out of the binding of my casebooks, find some pens that still work and settle in for the last couple of guilt-free episodes of the Wire I'll be able to watch for at least four months.

Round 2... fight!

No comments: