Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The war and fallen soldiers

On the ride home from school a song came on my iPod ("Letters from Home" by John Michael Montgomery) that reminded me of how for a while I was watching a lot of fallen soldier tribute videos on YouTube earlier this spring. Don't ask why. I think it must have had something to do with the fact that I was very bored and also listened to a lot of country music. Anyway, that's why I started probably, but I kept watching them because they fascinated me. I mean, we're at war and at the same time, our t.v. stations aren't allowed to show the caskets of soldiers coming home to be buried. So, as YouTube so frequently does, it has lived up to its reputation as part of the new media, making real something that our administration worked so hard to gloss over for the rest of us. Anyway, I wanted to come home and post a link, and lo and behold, I remembered it is Veteran's Day. So, here are some links to some of the more recent fatalities -- please do not take this for anything close to a complete list, which you can find here, but just a list of people for whom I found tributes on YouTube. Sorry, I know this is morbid, but it seemed like something I wanted to do.

Sgt. William Patrick Rudd - October 5, 2008

Spc. Christopher T. Fox - September 29, 2008

Capt. Michael J. Medders
- September 24, 2008

Staff Sgt. Kenneth W. Mayne - September 4, 2008

Sgt. Gary M. Henry
- August 4, 2008

Spc. Jonathan D. Menke - August 4, 2008

Spc. Ronald Schmidt - August 3, 2008

Sgt. Brian K. Miller
- August 2, 2008

Spc. Kevin R. Dickson - August 2, 2008

Staff Sgt. David W. Textor - July 15, 2008

Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez - Captured May 12, 2007 - Remains recovered July 10, 2008

Maj. Dwayne M. Kelley - June 24, 2008

Sgt. Shane P. Duffy - June 4, 2008

Spc. Jonathan D. A. Emard - June 4, 2008

No comments: