Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I had this dream (A post for T)

In the dream, I was diagnosed with some kind of degenerative neurological disorder, something similar to MS or Parkinsons (I think). We learned that I would sporadically and increasingly lose my ability to control my movement. The dream disease progressed quickly, because in short time I was essentially unable to move, and you were helping me get around everywhere. I was like a doll whose arms and legs only move along one plane: I could lift my arms and rest them at my sides, but that was about it. Perhaps it goes without saying that I couldn't talk either.

You talked to me though. You basically continued to talk to me and treat me like the person I am now (in real life). It was as if our love was getting you through the ordeal of my illness, even though the strain was palpable in the dream.

There was a tinge of regret to the scene, a mournful quality. Thoughts of who we were when we were healthy and whole composed an unspoken conversation between us. Through our eyes and movements we sighed, "But that we could go back for just a little while, and appreciate our lives still more!"

I woke up feeling infinitely grateful for you, and everything you do for me, every day.

No comments: