Friday, January 16, 2009

New semester, old grades and a gray day

I can already see that this semester is going to be more challenging that the last. Most of my professors jumped right into the legal analysis this first week, practically tearing apart famous decisions with their bare teeth, showing off their prowess at dissecting faulty logic while the rest of us sat lightheaded and dizzy and just trying to follow along. I was simply glad I'd kept up with and understood the reading. Apparently that's not good enough.

We also got some grades back today. I did pretty poorly in my legal research and writing class. After getting my graded memo back with feedback, I learned that my grade was dropped two 1/2 letter grades for turning it in 10 minutes late and for some careless formatting errors. Totally fair. I'm trying to decide if I feel better or worse about the reason my grade was so low. On the other hand, I did surprisingly well in Contracts. Since that class is four credits to the writing class' two, I was more pleased than let down this afternoon. But it's still scary and I have 2 and a half grades left.

T and I hung around the house tonight still trying to avoid this horrid east coast cold front. We bought a bottle of wine and finished a DVD of the Wire (Season 5) and I tried (and failed at) baking parmesan cheese puffs. T has been pretty glum and the weather is downright mean. I'm trying to stay grounded but it's hard not to see gray all around right now.

I wish my books would get here so I could at least curl up with a week's worth of reading and get it over with.

1 comment:

JD-Maybe said...

I am getting my grades today......eeek