Sunday, June 28, 2009

showers

The fact that I don't feel like writing right now makes me suspect I should just write. I had my bridal shower this weekend, which still just blows my mind. I just can't believe I am going through this: the shower, the attention, the gifts, the wedding. Seriously. I mean, this is aside from the whole "how lucky am I?" train of thought about having found someone I am so compatible with and who I love so much. Really, I just think it's so weird that the tradition in our culture is that when a couple of people decide they want to promise each other in front of all their friends that they're going to commit their lives to one another, their friends buy them something for their kitchen or bedroom. Can I write about this without sounding rude or ungrateful? I am absolutely thrilled that T and I get to create a home together, and have all this stuff to build new traditions around, and hopefully one day have a family to share it with. It's just so hard to wrap my mind around, right now, that this is actually happening, and that it's okay to have a pile of presents to rip through while everyone watches. It makes me so worried that I'm going to mess up and say the wrong thing, and do the whole tradition wrong. I feel like I was never schooled in this stuff. I'm having a lot of fun though!

4 comments:

Jackie pst! said...

Well I think you did a great job. Sarah and I were talking during the shower (and for a while after, actually) about how we have absolutely no idea how to do things like that, so I was thinking you had it pretty down. You come across as a lovely, thoughtful and thankful bride.

je said...

Haha... Thanks, Jackie! I guess whatever sensibility I have comes from having attended so many bridal showers already... I am just copying what I've seen done before! By the way, you should see our "dining room" right now. T procured an amazing white dining table while I was down in VA, and your napkins look absolutely perfect on them. I can't wait to your next visit so we can stay up playing games and sipping drinks around it!

JD-Maybe said...

Dont worry, you will be on auto pilot when it happens. Congratulations :)

Jackie pst! said...

Can't wait to see the table, and glad you like the napkins, it was a leap of faith! I am so down for a game night, let's talk dates.