Tuesday, August 25, 2009

law school mumbo jumbo

So far so good. Marriage and my 2L year, I mean. I like being married. It feels mostly the same as when we were engaged, which felt almost the same as when we were just dating, except that our family seemed to be much more excited about us and our friends giggled a lot more. I can't say the same about 2L year. This time last year, I was excited about school and also super super stressed. I'm only two days in now, but I can say with confidence that nothing feels new and at the same time, I'm not super stressed.

I'm taking some really cool classes this year. Employment law promises to be very interesting, given my work history as a safety manager for a home construction business and an HR manager for a California-based fast food franchise. I absolutely love issues of work place safety and workers compensation, and to a lesser extent I'm interested in wage & hour and other work-based legal theme. I'm even looking forward to taking administrative law, and I'm batting around an idea for an independent research project on OSHA regulation of industries with predominantly undocumented immigrant work forces. My least interesting class is definitely political & civil rights. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get excited about the Constitution. Sorry, Virginia. I know you're big on the Framers.

Other exciting things in my life... the new knives that we got as a wedding gift and the awesome bamboo cutting board. Hooray for not-gross cutting boards and blades that slice through onions in one chop! Also, I need to get on the stick with planning activities for the National Immigration Project. NLG interest meeting coming up. I wish I were a better communicator. And as if I need another thing on my plate, I'm considering trying out for trial team next week. Someone today likened being on our trial team to being on Carolina's basketball team. (Okay, they said Duke, but I heard Carolina!) That's intimidating, but since I didn't even finish Write-On, I might as well, right?

Hm. I should get back to reading. Or making that NLG flier. Or watching movies with T. Ah, normalcy, I feel you creeping back into my life.

2 comments:

CP said...

Yay! I love my knives- they were the best and most used wedding gift we received! I still get excited and get that new feeling about having new classes and new case books but I know how nerdy that is. OMG, OSHA regulation? It takes a special kind of person to get excited about that. And I was determined to enjoy admin law despite all the awful things I heard about it and it didn't matter, it still turned out horrible! Ahhh!

J Van said...

Aww I LOVED Con law. Not so much when it came time to study for the bar, however. So.much.to.remember.