Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving thanks after it's over

Thanksgiving was hard, even though it's been enjoyable. For one, my parents haven't been talking for months. And they were staying with us for three days. And we all had plans to spend an evening with T's parents. Who get along great. That evening actually went very well. Dads chatted amicably and moms made polite conversation. But that was the pretty easy part of the holiday. The harder part has been to remind myself how thankful I am of everything, when I feel bogged down, worn out and overworked. I've been on a roller coaster ride of sugar highs and exhausting dips in energy, hardly able to think about the work I have to do to get ready for finals. But the whole time, it's been looming in my head, and last night, my friend from law school casually mentioned that our first exam is Thursday. It's a pass / fail class, but I haven't cracked the book since the first class in August. So, I have a TON of work to do. And, I'm just now, at 4 pm on Saturday, sitting down to do it. My post-memo glee was fun but I think I let it go on a little too long. It's time to get back to work. And so, you see, I am too focused on the day-to-day to focus on the bigger picture. That forest is around here somewhere...

Here are some things I'm thankful for:

- A partner (T) who is supportive and affectionate and has a great sense of humor.
- A dog (E) that is sweet and snuggly and provides a quick reason to smile.
- Parents that love me very much.
- A brother that is one of my best friends and someone I can always turn to.
- My best friend (F) who I've shared so many milestones in life with, and who is excited to share her pregnancy journey with me, the honorary aunt-to-be.
- The opportunity to go to law school, which is my ticket to a fulfilling career and a flexible family life.
- The health of my parents, my friends and family, T, E and myself.
- Our safety at a time when the world seems to be falling apart.
- T's job, which is sustaining us through a difficult economy and tight budget.

The list probably could go on. I am thankful after all.

No comments: